Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC

Need help with hoarding

Customer Question

need help with hoarding
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 month ago.

Hello Roy, hoarding is a disorder that may be present on its own or as a symptom of another disorder. Psychotherapy is the primary treatment. Cognitive behavior therapy is the most common form of psychotherapy used to treat hoarding disorder. Try to find a therapist or other mental health provider who has experience in treating hoarding disorder.

As part of cognitive behavior therapy, you may:

• Explore why you feel compelled to hoard
  • Learn to organize and categorize possessions to help you decide which ones to discard
  • Improve your decision-making and coping skills
  • Declutter your home during in-home visits by a therapist or professional organizer
  • Learn and practice relaxation skills
  • Attend family or group therapy
  • Have periodic visits or ongoing treatment to help you keep up healthy habit.

Although the primary intervention for hoarding disorder is psychotherapy, research continues on the most effective ways to use medications in the treatment of hoarding disorder. The medications most commonly used are a type of antidepressant called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). I hope this information is helpful to you. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would greatly appreciate it. And please let me know if you have any further questions related to this topic. i wish you all the best.

Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you Roy.