Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice

Should I force a person thinking about suicide to go to a

Customer Question

should I force a person thinking about suicide to go to a hospital?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon, Donna, and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

I am so sorry to hear someone you know is thinking about suicide. This is obviously heartbreaking and can understand why you are in need of some assistance around this.

A few questions first......

Does this person have a specific plan for how they would like to commit suicide? In other words, do they have a gun or a rope etc.?

Does this person live alone or with others?

If this person has suicidal thoughts but not an actual plan, then I would encourage the person to go to an outpatient client and get a psychiatric evaluation and schedule with a therapist. I would go with them, ensuring this happens and that they are safe.

If they have a direct plan in place, I would absolutely bring them to the ER immediately.

If you are unsure of where they are at, I would stay on the safe side and bring them to the ER for evaluation.

Please know I am here to answer any questions you may have, sweet soul. This is tough.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 1 month ago.

Good evening, Donna.

I just wanted to check in regarding your post to see if there is anything I can assist you with further? What is the current status of your friend and how can I direct you?