LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I suffer from a host of issues. A little bit of everything,

Customer Question

I suffer from a host of issues. A little bit of everything, as my last psychiatrist put it. I need an antidepressant, a mood stabilizer, and antipsychotic, a stimulant, and a benzo to function. And then I just throw them all away thinking I'm ok. I don't have a psychiatrist right now. I don't know what to do anymore. Any suggestions? Current diagnosis is BPD.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for writing to us. My name is***** you come to this site looking for prescription refills? Unfortunately, I apologize if there was a misunderstanding about this as this website is not able to offer prescriptions. If so, I can request a refund for you. If i misunderstood and you are seeking mental health advice or support, let me know and i would be glad to continue this conversation.

Sincerely,

-Leah

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry I need to clarify. I'm not looking for prescription refills, I just need help understanding my situation and why I need all those medications to function.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need Paxil for social anxiety, abilify for mood stabilization, klonopon for added anxiety help, and adderrall to get me motivated. On top of that I need marijuana and alcohol! Just to feel normal. It's insane. What do I have and what can I do about it? Different types of therapy have not worked.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have been hospilized 3 times in 3 months and each time wasn't productive.

Hi Randy, thank you for the added information and the clarity on your need. It would be hard on this website to give you the depth of support you may be hoping for but in short, if you have a diagnosis of BPD, it is likely that you are just the type of person who has a hard time regulating their mood, emotions and behavior and for this, medications and continued investment in therapy can be very helpful. Having a diagnosis of BPD is not a bad thing. Instead, it is a good that you have a worthwhile explanation for why you often have problems requiring medications and hospitalizations.

The very first thing you should do is to realize that the biggest barrier to you and feeling stable is your worry about why this is happening to you and why you need medications. For this, there is no easy answer but the ideal way of handling it is with a move towards acceprtance. This is especially true for taking mediations as they are prescribed to you. Having BPD is a bummer and needing meds to achieve stability is also disappointing and aggravatihng, but just like mediations for a variety of other things help like blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, thyroid probelms, etc., medications sometimes are just a tool our bodies need to function at its best. It is likely that the hospitalziations were needed if you went off you medications and this in itself is an explanation for why they are important.

For you, with knowing very little beyond what you shared, I hope that this reminds you that while having a mental health diagnosis is not ideal, it is what it is and fighting it only sets one up to potentially suffer more. If those medications worked for you, then you can help yourself feel your best by finding a new psychiatrist who is willing to assess you independenetly to understand what your body needs to function at its best. This is different for each person and it can change over time. But generally, accepting that you have a condition which warrants the support of the mental health community (people like me who counsel people with mental illness and a psychatirist), the better chance you have of leading the most productive, satisfying life possible. So don't give up on help! Reengage with a new therapist and a new psychaitrist. Past disappointments with care do not mean you don't have the opportunity to find a team who will be your magic one who will offer you juts the right support to help you feel better.

You could start your serach here. or at your health insurer's website...

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?utm_source=PT_Psych_Today&utm_medium=House_Link&utm_campaign=PT_TopNavF_Therapist

I hope this helps. and look forward to hearing back from you.

-Leah

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** possible I can do this without meds? Or do I need to go back on all those? I just really don't know what to do at this point and my health insurance makes it hard to find a good psychiatrist and therapist.

You're welcome. Whether or not you can make it without meds is mostly defined by your symptoms and you only have so much control over these. It also depends on how much these symtpoms interfere with your day-to-day ability to function, including holding a job, maintaining relationships, taking care of yourself and your home, etc. Some people may be able to manage their mental illness through excellent self-care habits and also strategies that don't involve meds. These strategies are often taught through therapy, which you say you have tried different types of without success. For instance, skills taught in Dialectical Behavior Therapy or DBT are known to be helpful for BPD.

So, unfortunately, given you have been hospitalized 3 times in 3 months and not been successful in past therapies, it may be the case for you that right now, the meds are your best ticket to keeping well. I know this is tough to hear as these no one wants to rely on meds and sometimes they have side effects, but this is where that acceptance model really plays in. There is actually a great emerging therapy called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy or ACT which teaches that sometimes it is most powerful to simply accept some things as they are and still commit to living a life that meets your goals and values and is worth living.

Also, I am aware of the lack of mental health resources which can make choice for psychiatrists and counselors limited. Please check your insurance's website for their "Find a Provider/Doctor" link. That link will connect you to psychiatrists, psychiatric nurse practioners, and mental health professionals that participate with your insurance within the vicintiy that you designate.

Also, here is a my favorite website for people to locate therapists, groups, spychiatrusts, etc. You can sort the listings by insurance as well as "issues" to narrrow down your list to people that best meet your needs. This site is open to those who advertise on it so it is not all encompassing for your insurance.

So don't give up! Continue to pursue modes of therapy like DBT and ACT and keep up with meds that have proven helpful in the past. Ideally, the addition of meds will help you really engage in your life leading to success and satisfaction.

-Leah

Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I noted this question was still open and wanted to check in with you today. Is there anything else you need from me before rating on the help I provided so far? Thank you. I hope you are having a good day,

-Leah