Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am having a lot of anxiety about several different things

Customer Question

I am having a lot of anxiety about several different things but it started when someone really had a go at me at 7 AM after I had been vomiting and massive headache all night. My brother asked if I had his blanket (I did) and he snatched it from me and then acted very aggressive including throwing his arms about and last year I was raped/attacked by someone with a knife so I have PTSD. I really truely think my brother is sociopathic as this man who raped me was. I don't believe he was truely upset but instead was intimidating me and scaring me on purpose while I was especially vulnerable and because I had told him earlier I believed I had angels and that I was loved. I think that secretly pissed him off and so he got his revenge. He was really yelling at me about this blanket and trying to guilt me and judge me, etc. I ended up self harming when really I should have been going to sleep after having been up all night in terrible pain/vomitting. So... today and now also I have been so jumpy like all my PTSD symptoms have returned and I feel numb. What should I do? To stop the PTSD again, and stop this quickly from regressing me. I feel scared/worried/panicky/down. Thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am going to fall asleep in a few minutes but please know I will read this when I wake up. So if I don't respond right away it is because I am sleeping! :) I would really like to converse a bit online about this if possible so maybe in the morning unless I wake in a few hours. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. It sounds like that you have been experiencing severe anxiety symptoms which are causing the worry, panic sensations as well as the symptoms which seem to be consistent with PTSD. When your brother yelled at you, it brought up all the bad memories from your attack a year ago and if you are having flashbacks that more or less confirms the diagnosis of PTSD. Now with this sort of issue, the first and foremost thing you should do is to seek therapy as soon as possible. If you are not already in therapy, you should start with it as soon as possible. Therapy would provide you with the tools to control these feelings of anxiety as well as prevent further attacks of PTSD in the future. Considering the intensity of the symptoms it is likely that you may need to be started on anti anxiety medications as well as anti depressants like SSRIs. SSRIs can act to control anxiety as well and it can also prevent further attacks as well.

But for now i would think you would need small doses of benzodiazepines in small doses. You should contact a psychiatrists as soon as possible because self harming is something which should not be ta***** *****ghtly.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/