TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Life Coach

My 5 year old son just entered kindergarten and has gotten

Customer Question

My 5 year old son just entered kindergarten and has gotten in trouble every day. Today he hit another student with a chair. He is sorry afterwards but impulsively just does these things that get him in trouble.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He does not take any medications, and I am actually on hold with his pediatrician's office to set an appointment to have him evaluated for ADHD, which I believe is what's happening with him. He could also be anxious about our upcoming move to a new house, and the fact that none of his friends from VPK are in his class.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: He has had lesser versions of this behavior at VPK, but it seems amplified now that he's started kindergarten. The VP of the school seems to think it might be partly attention-seeking behavior, but I do feel like there's more to it than just that.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 2 months ago.

Hi. You have mentioned many changes for him and this could be a contributing factor to his not being able to manage his feelings in a positive way. While I think it is great that you are reaching out to his pediatrician, I would caution about rushing to any diagnosis unless he was properly evaluated by a Psychologist. He does not yet have the verbal skills to express properly what he is feeling and so he lashes out when he is overwhelmed by the feelings. Back to school time is hard for kids and he knows a new house is happening too. Work with the teachers to offer him positive feedback when he is doing the things they want him too and suggest to the teachers that they enlist him more to be their helper...setting table, putting out crafts, etc. He may feel empowered by this and it could be a great boost. When you talk with him at night let him know it is normal to have a lot of feelings and not know what to do with them and that his world is safe. With some great redirection he could do just fine.

I await your thoughts.

how can I support you further?

If I can support you further please let me know, but if all good for now, please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support so that I may be credited for my time with you. Thanks in advance for that understanding and care.