Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My husband and I are recently separated for a little over a

Customer Question

My husband and I are recently separated for a little over a month now. We have 2 kids, one is 14 months. I have primarily taken care of her at bedtime and in the night time if need be since she was born. My ex gets them about 2-3 nights a week. When she comes back to me, she's very clingy. For the first 2 nights she doesn't sleep well, and then the rest of the nights I have her until she goes back with her father, she wakes in the middle of the night screaming and crying frantically. she freaks out when I leave the room after checking on her so I end up having to rock to sleep. If I don't she will cry for hours frantically. We haven't aided her to sleep like that since she was about 6 months. What dos this mean? Is she having a hard time with not seeing her father for a few days, or is she having separation anxiety from me not being there at night? How do I lessen this anxiety? I also can't shut the door to the bathroom, she has to be in any room with me if she can't see me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr David

it sounds like she is having some increased anxiety from the recent separation and new sleeping arrangements.

it can be difficult for children to sleep in two separate places during the week

she could also be having separation anxiety from you when sleeping with her father.

it sounds like she is regressing a bit given this stress.

most likely with more time, it will get better.

this is the 2 year old who is getting more clingy, correct.

many kids at 2 years old can act out to get more attention. many people call this "terrible twos"

it doesn't sound like getting back together with your husband and all sleeping under one roof is an option at this point.

it has only been a month.

with more time, most likely your kids will get less anxiety and get more use to the sleeping arrangements with time

you should ask him how sleep time with dad is