Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

I'm just gone through a relationship breakup 3 days ago, as

Customer Question

I'm just gone through a relationship breakup 3 days ago , as my partner tried to commit suicide by jumping off my apartment balcony, I felt like I was in danger and I'm getting the same recurring vision of my x trying to jump. I had to get the cops involve and kick him out.
I called mental health services as I was concerned for his safety and I am receiving emails from this person saying that my x partner was emotionally abused, when I was emotionally and verbally abused by my x.
in this relationship I felt like I wasn't good enough for him when all he wanted was sex everyday, and felt like he didn't truly love me for who I am.
I always felt confused about the truth he spoke as his communication did not match up to his actions and felt like he was cheating on me with the neighbor next door.
when I was upset he would never ask me are you okay, he would swear at me and tell me to get over to whatever it was that I was feeling.
Every time I would have a conversation about our future decisions together I felt like my opinions where always rejected and felt like their was no balance.
I was always the one to receive and be blamed when my x partner has caused a problem.
I felt like I had to do everything for him cook , iron, clean the whole house while he just sat their.
I've been hurt emotionally several times by this person and it made me feel like I couldn't trust him anymore, this affected me and I started feeling depressed and anxious.
3 days ago I started to have panic attacks and today the emails from this person I believe to be psychiatrists and blaming me for the way I treated my partner when he has only heard his side of the story and I feel lost and confused, what should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 3 months ago.

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

My heart absolutely aches for you as it's difficult enough to walk away from what sounds like a long-term relationship....no less try to function after being emotional abused and trying to manage when your ex-partner has serious psychiatric issues and is blaming you. I am so sorry.

The e-mails you have received from who you believe is a psychiatrist sound incredibly fishy as a psychiatrist is, by law, required to maintain absolutely confidentiality. I'm wondering if these are coming from someone else? Perhaps a friend or family member of your ex? Whatever the case, these e-mails need to stop as they are blaming and horribly inappropriate...not to mention hurtful for you. Please, I beg you, respond to the person sending them insisting they stop and block his/her e-mail address. You can no longer have further communication.

It sounds like the two of you lived together? Is this correct? If so, are there financial things that need to be addressed between the two of you? Is the shared property a rental or something owned? Does it make sense to get an attorney to help sort through these complicated pieces? Or, is it pretty cut clear who owns what?

You have been horribly emotionally abused in your relationship and I imagine you are a bit traumatized. It sounds like you are even experiencing PTSD symptoms. Please reach out to a local therapist for some support in how to move forward as this is no doubt, terrifying and I worry about your overall health having experienced this.

Please do what you need to do to ensure your immediate safety as well as cut off all ties/communication with your ex. Secondly, please ensure you have dealt with the separation of all household items and ensure you have a safe comfortable place to live where you cannot be bothered by him. Thirdly, please begin the emotional work necessary to move on with your life. This may include spending time alone or with friends, writing, reading self-help books, therapy, exercise or whatever gives you comfort. Surround yourself with those who love you and are on your side.

This too, sweet soul, will pass. I am so sorry you has been your history.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The email says that he is in a straight jacket and doesn't have access to the outside world , he owes me some financial money and a $5000 rental laptop which he signed a contract for but in afraid that he will not hold up his end of the deal. Should I seek a lawyer ?

Thank you for your reply. Based upon what the e-mail sad, I am even more convinced this is not coming from a mental health professional. Yes, please seek legal representation around what your best steps are moving forward financially.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your help , I will seek legal
Advice :)

Yes, please do, sweet soul. I am again so sorry for what you are having to endure. Be sure you take good care of yourself. Please, when you have a moment, provide a rating for my service so I may be compensated.

Please know I am here if there is anything at all you are in need of.

Warmest regards,

Leslie