Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My family suffers from many mental disorders from

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** family suffers from many mental disorders from schizophenia to depression however I have never been diagnosed properly with anything. Im 59 years old and have had a turbulent life of drugs and alcohol problems unstable mood where as any little thing can change my mood. In addition I have sex addiction problems as well. please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Are you still using drugs or drinking alcohol?

When you say that your mood changes, does that mean that the mood is decreased or increased or both?

Are you having any other symptoms when your mood changes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The reason I started using was to control my moods and as a young teenager into adulthood. I am no longer drinking alcohol or taking substances however I am constantly in a state of agitation. THe slightest changes affect me and I can become angry. I try to hide these emotions yet everyone can see them. When that happens I get angry that Im transparent and fooling no one then I put up a wall of denial and everything spins out of control with self denial about my mental illness

It is good that you are no longer using any drugs or alcohol, as any substance use or abuse can make it more difficult to diagnose any underlying mental health condition.

Agitation is a symptom that can occur with many different mental health conditions, including whether the mood is normal, decreased, or increased. Agitation with a normal mood is most often seen with anxiety. Agitation can also occur only when the mood is decreased or increased. Anger also can occur when the mood is normal, decreased, or increased.

I ask about the mood changes because that would be the one of the primary considerations to diagnose the type of mental health condition that may be present. Everybody has some minor changes in mood from day to day, and that is normal. When the mood is decreased beyond the normal variability, it is called depression, and when the mood is increased beyond the normal variability, it is called mania. While many people with depression will never have periods of mania, essentially everyone that has periods of mania will ultimately also have episodes of depression, so the mental health condition that causes mania is also called manic-depression disorder, or more properly now called bipolar disorder.

When you say that your mood changes, would you say that there are periods during which your mood is decreased or increased, or both? Or are you only referring to feeling agitated or angry?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Increased with anger that I can not control a situation to go the way I desire it to go. Ive been on Zoloft but felt as though it did not help as much as I would have liked. I can give an example of my agitation...I had been working very hard at my job and I was tired. My boss gave me another order to do and I snapped and said to him in anger to give me a break Im busy. I coulnt handle the situation. Im the same way with my wife and family if things dont go my way I tend to flip out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Sudden anger episodes such as you describe are actually not a mood disorder. It falls more in the category of an impulse control disorder. And if the episodes are more significant, they would be called an intermittent explosive disorder.

The antidepressants that are active on serotonin are the drugs that are most often used for this situation, and that includes the Zoloft that has been tried. You do not mention what dose of the Zoloft was used, but if only the starting dose was prescribed, then the next step would be to increase to a higher dose. If a higher dose is not effective, then it would be appropriate to change to a different antidepressant, either another SSRI, such as citalopram, or an SNRI, such as venlafaxine.

While in the middle of typing this answer, the system says that you requested a phone call and I sent the offer for premium services, but then I finished typing this initial answer. Let me know if any further information would be helpful, or if you still want a phone call, you can accept the offer for premium services.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No that is not necessary. Why am I so over reactive to normal situations and get emotional trying to get my point across when I'm already exsposed and trying to control how people perceive me and cover my mental illness. Why cant I connect the dots when it comes to looking at my mental illness that other people see but I don't. The emotions go first the reaction and then the thinking meaning I'm always reacting on emotion before thinking out a situation.

That is not unique to any specific mental disorder. Sometimes, cognitive dysfunction occurs due to the mental health condition. But sometimes, it is simply a defense mechanism, which can occur with any of the above mental health conditions.

Discovering why someone's behavior is the way it is frequently requires multiple counseling sessions to gain insight. Even after a diagnosis is made, whether an impulse control disorder or a mood disorder, such as depression or bipolar disorder, it is frequently not clear why the condition is present.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is what happens to me Ive been in therapy for over 10 years and my psychiatrist placed me on depression medication but Im still the same so I decided to come off meds I belive I was improperly diagnosed. I do have problems connecting the dots from day to day and seeing my long history and battle. Can you please give me some sort of help or direction? I dont feel any better before I asked for help