Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn

Son has double mthfr gene mutation and COMT Val Val mutation

Customer Question

My son has a double mthfr gene mutation and COMT Val Val mutation. The orthobiotic Doctor is recommending he take l theanine, and then work up to a supplement with methylfolate. He's currently taking lamictal and abilify. Is this safe?
I am taking Abilify 10 mg, lamictal 25 mg
Also, I am having increasingly bad bowel problems.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 2 months ago.
You are talking about genetic testing that is identifying gene mutations that influence many biochemical reactions that are essential for good health. I know MTHFR gene is important in folic acid and folate activity and a deficiency in the enzyme that is essential for allowing folate to be active is state of the art investigation in metabolism. If a healthcare provider has brought up the subject of MTHFR and COMT mutations then they know how to use the information and give you direction. Right now the MTHFR gene has been examined quite well and the information you are given are essential. Trust your care givers with this area of genes and potential trouble that can be avoided.