LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I think I"m depressed I have no desire to leave my house and

Customer Question

I think I"m depressed I have no desire to leave my house and rarely see friends however I like being isolated but I'm afraid it's ruining my physical and mental health
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for writing to us. My name is ***** ***** I;'d like to help. A desire for isolation/Withdrawing is definitely one symptom of depression. Some other common ones are changes in sleep and eating habits (too much or too little), feelings of being down, hopeless, or unmotivated, irritability or moodiness, lack of pleasure in things you once enjoyed, and fatigue. Generally, these feelings must be present for two weeks or more to qualify as depression and if they have been, then depression may be to blame.

What was the outcome of getting put on an antidepressant? What are you taking and for how long have you been taking it? Medications can be one great tool for helping to treat depression. the other option is to engage in counseling to talk through how you are feeling and why. The ideal treatment for depression is a combination of medication and counseling however both can be effective without the other.

If you see yourself in the symptoms i mentioned above, please don;t despair. Depression is a real; medical illness that warrants treatment as you are correct that it can wreak havoc on your personal life as it can zap the enjoyment out of things. One truth about depression is you have to fight back. While it may feel like the last thing you want to do, you have to get out of the house and push yourself to make an effort to engage in life.

Fortunately, you aren't alone in battling depression. It is very common and with the right support, you can get a handle on it and feel like you have your life back. If your current medication is providing no benefit, talk to your primary care doctor to either adjust the dose or try another med. And definitely look into counseling. a good counselor can make all the difference in the world as they walk this bumpy path beside you. You can research counslors heer.. https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?utm_source=PT_Psych_Today&utm_medium=House_Link&utm_campaign=PT_TopNavF_Therapist.

I m glad you reached out today as it shows you are brave and ready to move forward from this phase. Keep up that momentum and seek the help you deserve to get you feeling better.

Let me know if you have comments! Sincerely,

-Leah

Hello! I just wanted to check back in with you. How have you been feeling?

Sincerely,

Leah