LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience

My Dr put my niece on Viibyrrd and only antidepressant that

Customer Question

My Dr put my niece on Viibyrrd and only antidepressant that has ever worked for her. She lost her health insurance and I am very concerned for her. Is there anyway she can get sample packs until her insurance kicks in? If she is not on it she cannot function. The price is so high and she has no money. She has a five year old and having hard time taking care of her.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Viibyrd and Wellbuttrin and neurotion
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: She has been alittle depressed since daughter was born but got worse over the years. In a very bad marriage, but going to go to marriage counseling.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: yes, my whole family, most of us suffer anxiety and depression
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear of this situation as I recognize people's medications are important. Unfortunately, this is a question and answer site only and does not offer prescriptions or samples. Can you tell me how much of this medicine she has remaining? There are "prescription assistance plans" that can help people obtain medications for little or no cost depending on her need and I can direct you to these. The pitfall of them is that they typically need a doctor to send the prescription to the company offering the assistance plan (which is something that most doctor's offices do routinely to help patients) but the processing of these applications often take 2-3 weeks from start to finish. So if she has a small supply, perhaps she could come up with enough money to purchase enough to get her through until the prescription assistance plan gets the med to her. Here are the details on some options that may work for you... - Has a coupon that will reduce the price, so may be helpful if she just needs to bridge until the PAP gets settled.

One other idea is for the patient to call her prescribing office directly. If they have a social worker, have your niece ask to speak to them as they sometimes have funds to help with access to medications. Perhaps the office will offer other suggestions aout how to insure she maintains this medication until reinsured.

I hope these prove helpful. I use prescription assistance plans to help patients routinely in my work and while they take a little diligence to apply for them, they can be the only way to connect patients who are uninsured or underinsured to the med they need. It looks like the first link I sent may be the best options and you can print the application or call the phone number to get started. Hopefully your niece is able to get this application done quickly to expedite the help. Please let me know if you have any additional questions about utilizing these programs.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, will I get my $5 back

Ok. I'll request a refund for you. Sorry we couldn't help access the med for you. But do look into the assistance plan! It may be her best option...

Hello, I'd be happy to call you on this. Did you mean to request this service or were you planning to seek a refund?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.