DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor
Experience:  MD, BA psychology, Emphasis on addictions, depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc.
24257177

Have been on seroxat 12.5mg for 3 years now my doctor

Customer Question

have been on seroxat 12.5mg for 3 years now my doctor advised that I should cut it down gradually and then stop. I am taking 1 pill 4times a week for 3weeks then cut it down to 2times per week for 3 weeks. I am having awful withdrawal symptoms (nausea, diharea, low concentration , severe headaches,fatigue) I have also been on diet for 4 months and I have reached the ideal weight I am now watching over my weight by lowering my sugar and carb intake and only eating healthy food . I don't know whether these symptoms are because of dieting or because of withdrawal symptoms but they are really awful. I can't function without panadol extra couple of times a day and that is really bothering me . What can I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 8 months ago.

Hi.

Thanks for the question.

First, talk with your doctor.

Second, ask him to slow down the taper.

It can take a lot longer.

If you have been on it for years, it can take months to get off.

3 months as a rule of thumb in this case, or longer.

So the idea would be to go to the dose you could tolerate, then start a slower taper.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you please suggest a taper ? I talked with my doctor she told me that these symptoms are normal and they will take place for a few days , she suggested instead to take 6.5 mg daily rather than 12.5 mg every other day ? Is there something that could help me get rid of the symptoms instantly I feel very tired really
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have insomnia , headache, fatigue , negative thoughts everything bad I don't know how I can get over these

No. I can not set up a taper for you.

but I told you the exact method.

You hold at the level you tolerate.

You then taper at a slower level than you were before.

You can try your doctors method as well.

She is effectively slowing it down with a daily dose.

There is no drug to counteract the withdrawal, unfortunately. I know it is disturbing.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am now anxious and worried and extremely tired please advise me with what I can do in this case to get some sleep should I take sleeping pills?

You should call your doctor right now, or his answering service.

We do not prescribe here, or diagnose.

Sleeping pills are an option, but can interacted with your medication, and this needs to be initiated and monitored by your doctor.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She is not answering . What can Ido now?

You can go to urgent care or the ER.

They can check you out and get a hold of your doctor.

And, they can give you a temporary med.