Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am an adult taking Venlafaxine HCl XL, 150mg/day,

Customer Question

I am an adult taking Venlafaxine HCl XL, 150mg/day, prescribed to me by my primary care doctor. I want to quit taking this medication due to side effects. Is an internal medicine specialist qualified to help me do this?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is Dr. Bonilla.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been on Venlafaxine HCl XR and want to get off of this drug due to side effects. I forgot to mention in my earlier comments that my primary care doctor is gone for at least 2 months and cannot help me. This is why I want to know if an Internal Medicine specialist is qualified to help me slowly switch to another antidepressant to avoid serotonin syndrome. I have done extensive reading about how to do this, but want the help of a doctor.

I understand your concerns. You have to get a new PCP or a covering doctor to make a plan for you. Unfortunately in this website we cannot prescribe or make long term plans with patients. For now continue the same dose of the medication until you see a new doctor. I hope you understand. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your answer did not address your question.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I wish to rate the nformation you did provide and log out.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do not refer me to anyone else. I wish to rate. The first doctor and log off.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and if you want i can help you with your query.

Regards