TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

I had broke up with my partner of 6 years. My mother blamed

Customer Question

I had broke up with my partner of 6 years. My mother blamed me for my brake up. That just made things worse. It has been 5 months since the break up and I am concerned about my difficulty returning to the dating scene. I was use to regular sex and now I am not. I do not understand why I have a hard time asking another guy who appeals to me out or even if they are gay. What advise can you give me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 8 months ago.

Any ending is hard and giving yourself time to heal from it is key. Returning to the dating scene can be scary but if you go into it with a light attitude without any importance placed on the outcome then pressure could be removed. Put yourself in situations where you can meet others that share your interests and maybe it happens naturally.

any added internal pressure you place on yourself will make it harder to get back out there when you are ready. If you are having a hard time asking anyone out then it may mean you need more time.

Let me know your thoughts.

How can I support you?