Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice

I was a teacher. I lost my job this year. My contract was

Customer Question

I was a teacher. I lost my job this year. My contract was not renewed. I feel bad and felt I was picked on. In the beginning on the year the principal said to me in the hallway this is your last chance. I don't know why because I didn't do anything. I felt bad and was a bit sad and then the principal said that I looked sad and kept saying why am I at this school. I felt I was harassed over and over by him. What can I do? I miss my job and the kids. And when I was let go there was no direct reason. I feel so bad and want to work there
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 2 months ago.

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your job...more importantly, the loss of a job you truly loved. I'm curious about a couple of things....

Did you have a performance evaluation during the school year? If so, did you receive any formal feedback concerning your performance?

Did you receive any written feedback or warnings by chance?

How many years were you employed by the school? Were you tenured?

Also, are you part of the teacher's union? If so, have you spoken with them by chance?

I understand why you are taken back and angry. From what I can tell, it seems things were handled in a very unprofessional way. Have you spoken with an employment attorney by chance?

My apologies for all the questions. I want to ensure I understand your situation fully.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi, it is a private school. I was there for 13 years. We do not have a union. I was not given any written feedbacks or warnings. I had an evaluation and it was a fair one but the principal said he was going to observe me again and he never did. He said I could be a teacher or teacher assistant next year. Instead he let me go. He said that it is not healthy for me to work there but he created the unhealthiness by picking on me

Ohhhh dear, my heart aches for you as you were, no doubt, treated unfairly. Everything about this is wrong and I'm so sorry you fell victim to this. This sounds like an incredibly toxic work environment and he sounds like a very unprofessional boss.

Have you been able to find alternative employment? Do you have any colleagues at the private school who can serve as reference providers while you are looking for employment?

I imagine you are devastated and rightly so. I know it's confusing and difficult to understand why things happened the way they did but please know there is a better opportunity out there for you. You obviously have to seek it out and believe the universe will provide something wonderful in the near future. Please do not loose hope. I know it's a horrible experience to survive but have no doubt you will find your way through this.

In the meanwhile, be sure to take good care of yourself and actively look for new employment daily. You will find the perfect opportunity in due time.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where can I do to tell someone about the unfair work place? The school was a board of trustees
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have found no job, I want to work there, I miss the kids and feel I did nothing wrong

I am so sorry you have not found anything as of yet. Are you licensed and certified to teach in the state you live?

Could you possible approach the Board of Trustees requesting a meeting? Or, perhaps the Superintendent?