Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC

I try to overcome my depression by calling friends (I have

Customer Question

I try to overcome my depression by calling friends (I have so many--ha), but the only one I have talks to me for, say, 20 minutes, then asks for money. I talk to my brother,
but I am talking, and he isn't listening (I didn't hear you, well, who wants to talk to you,
anyway, my husband says his kids come first)--his second marriage with kids from that, first marriage for me, no kids. BYW, I am a young, young 71, so no this isn't something new, I retired, and nothing has changed. I feel like I have something to
give, but no one wants it. I am not just feeling sorry for myself, I just want a reason to keep going. Well, here, have you ever read :Carrie: by Stephen King? That's me. My mother told me when I was 11, she and my younger brother, talking to my older brother, "So we dubbed her (me) Madame Fart because she's obnoxious.
I could go on and on, but I hope these tidbits give you a real picture of me. Please understand I am not just having a bad day, feeling depressed over having retired and am 71, often and hurting, those voices from the past come back to me. Can you give me some sort of help? BTW, I have epilepsy and cannot drive. Not to be childish, but I want a Scottie pup (black) and a tuxedo cat kitten. My husband (this is his house I moved into, he says no hounds and damn cats right now, maybe when we both are older. Oy weh. Help, please.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer, I am glad to be here for you. I love how you express yourself and you seem to have such a vibrant, interesting personality. I think what I hear you asking for help with is that you feel like something is missing in your life and there is a certain emptiness. The developmental tasks we have in our 70's and 80's is to resolve and make sense of what we experienced in our relationships in life, what we contributed to life, the community, the higher good. So it makes sense to me that along with some of the current relationship struggles you are having and the point you are at in your life that you are reaching out and wanting something more, some purpose or meaning. animals are wonderful teachers that help us to give love and receive love unconditionally. Is there somewhere you can go to volunteer with animals? Do you have a spiritual community that you belong to? I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 2 months ago.

If you no longer need my help may I please ask you to rate my service to you as this is the only way we are compensated for our time. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it and am here for you if you need. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

PS. I love the thought of your Scottie pup and a tuxedo cat kitten ;^) !!