Dr Ted Manos
Dr Ted Manos, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Self employed 40 years experience Ob-Gyn

Is there such a diagnosis as emotionally retarded in mental

Customer Question

Is there such a diagnosis as emotionally retarded in mental illness or medicine
my psychologist told me no such diagnosis exists on the book it is only done to
obtain money from the Board of Education for problem children
also does invega sustenna 156mg injection have the same side effects as Risperdal constra 25 mg biweekly injection
I have never had a sexual problem on Risperdal since 2006 but the last year since I have changed to invega sustenna I have hard time getting an erecetion and hard time maintaining an erection for more then 2 minutes before I lose the erection I also gained like 40 pounds the last year I am 270 5ft7inches tall plus
I started smoking I use to get hard before I took my pants off on 5 mg of Cialis now with 20 mg of Cialis I cant get an erection or it takes a lot of effort and I cant maintain an erection for more then 2 minutes I am on Cialis and testosterone I get hard when strippers rub there bodies against mine but when I go to have sex with them or my girl friend I cant get there or stay there
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr Ted Manos replied 2 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Manos, MD. Emotional retardation is more of a symptom in many mental issues such as depression and a history of trauma. A lack of compassion can be a more workable interpretation of someone with emotional issues. A fear of vulnerability is frequently present in some individuals. As far as erectile function, medications can create erection issues. You are taking testosterone supplements and I hope it includes serum levels showing deficiency. I hope this answers your question.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello I was diagnosised as emotionally retarded as a 9-10 year old child in 6th grade after some behavioral issues
with fellow class mates such as bulling and class disturbances. I need a more exact answer. I had no trauma to any
part of my body I was later diaganosised as schizoprhrenic paranoid or schizoaffective or various types of schizophrenic
over the year mostly chronic paranoid or schizoaffective. The question is there a DSM 4 diagnosis on the book for emotionally retarded? Does such a diagnosis exist on psychological matter or psychiatric matter. I have been told by several doctors I am not retarded in anyway mental ill yes but not retarded or even emotionally retarded. I am a very high functioning mental ill person with three college level degree AA BS and MBA as well as function on a very high level otherwise.
I need a more exact honest answer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was diagnosis as emotional retarded at age 9-10 and later schizophrenic at age 20-21 but feel I may have had
undiagnosised symptoms of schizophrenia at age 16-17 but it became prevalent at age 20-21
There is no category of emotional retarded as a diagnosis. Retarded is a description of emotions that present with some inhibitions or reactions that bely the situation. Emotions start as a newborn and patterns are imprinted from a mixture of genetic and environmental factors. How all the aspects of emotions develop from the baby to an adult are impossible to diagnose. You have had feedback over time about your perceptions that create or suppress emotions. Anger, fear, love and many more are behaviors that each individual possesses at one level or another. Retarded is not a good word to be used for emotional patterns. Mentally retarded is more specific with the addition of measurements such as IQ. You obviously function well when it comes to brain function such as IQ and evaluation of your emotional patterns are the result of factors so varied and complex that description is difficult. The manner in which we walk, talk and react to others are unique to each of us. I grew up in Brooklyn NY and my way of being is foreign to my wife, a farmer's daughter from Indiana. Imagine what it's like growing up on a busy street in the city versus looking at vast areas of silent stalks of corn swaying with the breeze. The ground is barren until spring and then by fall the fields of corn look like a tidal wave to me. I actually feel intimidated by so many fields that I see over and over again, and I'm glad to get back to civilization. This is as honest an answer that I can confidently give you.