Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn, Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Psychologist with over 10 years of experience working with children and teens.
50739591

What is the difference in depression and being unhappy?

Customer Question

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Autumn replied 9 months ago.

Hi there! I'm happy to help you with this question.

Depression usually effects several areas of your life. Sometimes it helps to imagine it like a big pie, and each slice of the pie is an area of your life that is affected by depression. For example, it often impacts how much you sleep (either more or less), it can impact your appetite (increase or decrease), you may lose interest in activities that you usually enjoy, you may want to isolate and avoid being with friends. People often describe depression as something that is always present, no matter what you are doing. It's also been described as feeling like you are wading through water that is knee deep.

Alternatively, sadness tends to be more situational and will come and go.

Does this make sense?

Is there anything else I can help with?

I want to be sure that you are satisfied with your answer. So, please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is there any way I can call you Monday. I really do have several questions. I am on vacation with my family and can't really talk at this time.

Sure, I'm happy to do that.

I'm happy for us to talk on Monday, but I just wanted you to know that we usually charge an additional fee for a phone call. Let me know if you are still interested in that, or if you would just prefer to chat online.