TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.

24 weeks pregnant, one month ago had a feeling of impending

Customer Question

24 weeks pregnant, one month ago had a feeling of impending doom. Like life was too perfect something had to go wrong. I've always suffered with anxiety. I have two little boys who I constantly worry about their safety, I am over protective, and they are my entire world. My reason for living. Anyway, I took an online mental health test that said I was all these different diagnoses and then 3 minutes later saw a news story about a woman with the diagnoses that shot her two daughters. For some reason my brain said "what if you do these things"?! I went into full blown panic mode, obsessing over this thought and why I couldn't get it out of my head when I have never ever thought about harming my kids!! I am the complete opposite. I even had my husband take me to the er bc it's so scary to me. Idk why I can't just let it go. I find myself asking myself if I can't let this thought go is it something I WANT to do deep down inside?! Then I tell myself no this is anxiety and ocd people don't just go from being over orotective to wanting to hurt their babies. This has been 4 weeks today this started and I've seen a therapist, and a psychiatrist. Why won't this thought go away?! It's thrown me into a deep depression which I have never been in before. This is not me!!
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To be clear I know I won't hurt my kids. I am terrified of the what if, and terrified by the fact that I can't get the thought to go away. I feel so guilty and out of control of my thoughts. I have read ocd feeds off your greatest fear which mine is something happening to my babies.
Expert:  TherapistMarryAnn replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

I understand what the issue is but I was wondering if you would clarify your question so I can be sure to address what you want answered. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess my question is, how do I pull myself out of this? The therapist I was seeing says this is all anxiety fueled and the psychiatrist said it is also ocd, mainly just the obsessive thoughts. I just want to stop doubting myself.

First, you did the right thing seeking help with your symptoms. And it sounds like from the symptoms you listed that Anxiety and OCD would be the correct diagnoses. In that case, anxiety is very treatable with therapy and OCD is helped by both therapy and medications.

What you are experiencing with the distressing thoughts is very common with anxiety and OCD. I can reassure you that you are not alone and that your fear of acting on your thoughts indicates that you care very much about your children. Just because you have thoughts does not mean you will act on them. People have many thoughts throughout the day that they do not act on. Thoughts are just that- thoughts. But in your case, your thoughts are arousing anxiety which becomes distressing to you making you feel out of control.

If you feel your therapist and psychiatrist are helping you, then continue with them. Therapy is the best treatment for anxiety and the psychiatrist can find the right medication to help you with OCD. You can also do many things to help yourself. The trick is trying many things to find what works for you.

OCD thoughts can be handled through a variety of ways:

Learn to relax- this helps a lot because one of the main issues with OCD thoughts and compulsions is the anxiety you experience with them, triggering the urge to act out. So learning how to keep calm when dealing with these thoughts can help. Here is a link to help you learn Progressive Relaxation, one of the best ways to control your anxiety:

Write down your thoughts- by keeping a journal so you have a place to express your thoughts when they do bother you. It can also help to go back and see your progress or look at repeating patterns and how you handled them.

Make a list of activities- things you can do to distract yourself when you do experience OCD thoughts. Exercise, calling someone or watching a movie for example.

Repeating good thoughts- Make a list of thoughts that comfort you. "I am ok" "These are just thoughts, nothing more" "I am not alone with this problem" etc. When you feel anxious or even when you just have a few moments in your day, read these thoughts through. It can help to have something to turn to when you feel your thoughts going in a bad direction.

Give yourself a break- realize that OCD is caused by physical imbalances in the brain as well as anxiety. So telling yourself things like "This is just a physical response and it is not my fault" or "I can control this any way I want" and doing another activity instead of giving in helps as well.

Do not give your obsession meaning- The more you focus on it, the more importance you give it. So treat it like it's nothing. "It's only my thoughts. It does not mean anything".

Cognitive behavior therapy can help a lot as well. It assists you in "retraining" your brain to think other thoughts and calming yourself so you don't feel the need to respond to the thoughts as much.

Read as much as you can about OCD and anxiety how to address both. The more you educate yourself, the better chance you will find things you can do to help yourself.

I hope this was helpful,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!