TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

I am fifty three years old and a mother of two children. My

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** am fifty three years old and a mother of two children. My son is almost 25 and we have a great relationship. My daughter is almost 27 and has cut me off from contact for the last 3 months which has devastated me. There obviously is a reason she has done so however she has not given me the opportunity to explain. She has believed the other person in a conflict that we had and not even asked me for my side. I have tried texting and phoning her and she does not respond. Firstly, I am so sad that she has listened to someone else and then not given me the same fairness. Secondly, I am desperately sad that she is not in my life. Do you have any suggestion as to how I could approach this with my daughter?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear of this fracture in your relationship with your daughter and she has been listening to only one version of the events that led to this break. It is excruciating for you. I think she probably needs some time...yes it has been some time, but maybe she needs more. And maybe you send her a heartfelt note...a note filled with your love and care and asking her to hear her feelings. A letter that does not ask her to hear your side as it sounds to me like she doesn't want that...so it may be where you reach out with this heartfelt note, acknowledge her feelings of hurt and let her know you are ready, willing and able to hear her feelings and will be open to hearing anything and everything she has to say.

How can I support you further?