Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My wife claims she saw me kissing another woman from just 5

Customer Question

My wife claims she saw me kissing another woman from just 5 feet away. I did not kiss or hold, touch woman. What is the condition called that my wife has besides jealousy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, if your wife truly believes that she saw you kissing another woman which obviously is not the case by all accounts then i believe she is suffering from what is clinical described as Delusional Disorder and the type of delusion that she is having is called as Delusion of Jealousy or Othello Syndrome ( i,e is derived from Shakespeare playright Othello where the lead character Othello starts doubting his partner of infidelity which becomes so severe that he kills her in a fit of rage, this character became the base of naming this disorder as Othello Syndrome since here too the person develops strong perception and belief that his / her partner is having an affair with someone else and such a person can also start having hallucinations similar to your wife.

So it is my humble opinion that you get her evaluated by a psychiatrist for Delusional Disorder and get her started on medications which shall be able to help her overcome this condition.

So i hope this makes sense and gives you a direction to move in. Yes, taking her to a psychiatrist for evaluation may be a daunting task but it needs to be done nonetheless since with time the condition will only become worse and more dangerous for both of you.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards