Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My wife claims she saw me kissing another woman from just 5

Customer Question

My wife claims she saw me kissing another woman from just 5 feet away. I did not kiss or hold, touch woman. What is the condition called that my wife has besides jealousy.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 10 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, if your wife truly believes that she saw you kissing another woman which obviously is not the case by all accounts then i believe she is suffering from what is clinical described as Delusional Disorder and the type of delusion that she is having is called as Delusion of Jealousy or Othello Syndrome ( i,e is derived from Shakespeare playright Othello where the lead character Othello starts doubting his partner of infidelity which becomes so severe that he kills her in a fit of rage, this character became the base of naming this disorder as Othello Syndrome since here too the person develops strong perception and belief that his / her partner is having an affair with someone else and such a person can also start having hallucinations similar to your wife.

So it is my humble opinion that you get her evaluated by a psychiatrist for Delusional Disorder and get her started on medications which shall be able to help her overcome this condition.

So i hope this makes sense and gives you a direction to move in. Yes, taking her to a psychiatrist for evaluation may be a daunting task but it needs to be done nonetheless since with time the condition will only become worse and more dangerous for both of you.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards