Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Ever since I was a kid, I've had a fixation (though not an

Customer Question

Ever since I was a kid, I've had a fixation (though not an obsession or compulsion thankfully) on making things "smooth" or "fixed". Its hard to describe exactly but for example I find scraping paint/plaster off of walls or barnacles off of a boat to be very soothing. I even find watching videos of them, or even someone scraping psoriosis scales, to be very calming. Ive tried to find a term for it but everything I come across seems to slip into body mutilation which isnt remotely it.
Is there a term for my fixation?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

there is no specific name for your fixation

it can be considered to be a mild form of OCD to be calmed by smoothing or fixing irregular textures.

if the fixation doesn't hinder your ability to do things, then it is not a disorder.

it doesn't sound like you have body mutilation

let me know if you have questions.