Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

I feel I m depressed, Not yet, There r some symptoms I

Customer Question

I feel I m depressed
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: There r some symptoms I observed in me and I can share that
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The inability to experience joy or pleasure from activities
--Sometimes feeling nothing at all
--Appearing desireless- seeking nothing, wanting nothing
--Feeling indifferent to important events
--Hypersensitivity to criticism, insults, or hurt feelings
--Sudden irritability, anger, hostility, suspiciousness, resentment
--Depression- feeling discouraged and hopeless about the future
--Low motivation, energy, and little or no enthusiasm
--Suicidal thoughts or suicidal ideation
--Rapidly changing mood- from happy to sad to angry for no apparent reason
--Severe Anxiety
--Dropping out of activities and life in general
--Inability to form or keep relationships
--Social isolation
--Increased withdrawal, spending most of the days alone.
--Becoming lost in thoughts and not wanting to be disturbed with human contact
--Replaying or rehearsing conversations out loud- i.e. talking to yourself most of the time
--Finding it difficult to deal with stressful situations
--Inability to cope with minor problems
--Lack of goal-directed behavior. Not being able to engage in purposeful activity
--Functional impairment in interpersonal relationships, work, education, or self-care
--Deterioration of job-related performance
-- the same thoughts that go around and round your head but get you nowhere. Often about past disappointments, missed opportunities, failed relationships.
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area of the United States.

I am so sorry you are feeling depressed. Your symptoms seem quite intense. May I ask a few questions to have a better understanding of your situation....

How old are you?

How long have you been feeling this way?

Have you experienced any trauma or major changes in the last year?

Are you currently taking any medications? If so, have you had any medication changes?

Do you have any medical conditions that may be contributing to your depression?

Do you have a circle of friends or family in your immediate area?

Any history of mental illness?

My apologies for all of the questions. I want to ensure I fully understand your situation.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your reply.
Hope I ll not be charged more for continuing discussion.I am 30 years old...I have feeling these things from past 1 year... No I am not taking medications..I don't have any medical history... Probably I noticed all this first time as all these symptoms started showing off.Shikha...

Good afternoon, Shikha.

Thank you for your reply. No, we can speak as long as you need to without being charged further.

Your symptoms sound quite intense and I'm thinking it might make sense to have a professional psychiatric evaluation be done for possible medication. I would also speak with a therapist as a way of learning to manage some of the symptoms of the feelings you are struggling with.

Some of the best things you can do to manage your depression is regular exercise, balanced diet, communicating your feelings, staying close to friends and family as to not isolate, keep a regular sleep schedule, and practicing strong boundaries with those in your circle.

It is also helpful to use art and music as a way of expression if these are areas you are particularly interested in.

There are also a number of online support groups that might be helpful for you....

http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/PageServer?pagename=peer_Online_Support_Groups

http://www.supportgroupscentral.com/depression/meeting_calendar.cfm

I would not allow yourself to keep sitting with these feelings as I imagine they are a bit intense. Please seek out professional help to assist you in navigating this time.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't like to meet people nowadays.... I m feel breathlessness most of the time....I can't focus on anything more than 2 mins....I tried sleeping meditating but it doesn't help me much....I can't sit patiently...

Oh dear, sounds like you struggle with both anxiety and depression. My recommendation is getting an immediate psychiatric evaluation for medication. Please do not wait as your symptoms sound intense and you shouldn't have to live like this.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like you to assist me further as how-to deal with such situations.

Good afternoon,

Below is a list of techniques for managing anxiety and depression. I put this together for a few of my clients and think it will be helpful for you as well....

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #1: Notice and name. The first step is to identify your patterns. What specific triggers are linked to your anxiety? Notice what sets your anxiety in motion, and give it a name. Once you bring it into the forefront of your consciousness, you can begin to make sense of it and then to address it.

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #2: Develop a plan. Many of us run ourselves ragged by not addressing our worries. One classic example: We’re afraid of getting breast cancer, but we don’t schedule the mammogram -- instead, we spin our mental wheels. Write yours pecific worry down, and then develop a plan to address it. Tackle one or two worries at a time. Once you’ve completed those, go on to the next on your mental list. This task-oriented process can give you a feeling of satisfaction;more importantly, it makes you feel less vulnerable, more in control of your life.

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #3: Move. Exercise is one of the best self-treatments for anxiety available. It doesn’t matter whether you go for a walk, join a water aerobics class, dance, play tennis -- what does matter is that you get regular exercise,at least every other day. In the interim, whenever one of those cycles of ruminative worry hits, even simple activity -- minor housecleaning, a few minutes of gardening, some simple stretches, even just getting up and walking around for five minutes -- can help jog you out of that negative feedback loop.

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #4: Breathe. A number of breathing techniques can alleviate anxiety.For one thing, many people find that when they’re anxious, they breathe shallowly, from the upper chest -- and when breathing is shallow and fast, the body responds with an increase in heart rate, blood pressure and stress hormones. In bad moments, they might even be holding their breath. Instead,take a few moments and simply notice your breathing patterns. After a few breathing cycles, take a deep breath. Let your belly be soft and relaxed, and breathe from your lower abdomen. Repeat -- and use this technique any time you notice that you're tense or worried.

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #5: Nurture your spirit. Meditation and prayer trigger the relaxation response, helping calm the mind and body. Even the simplest of prayers or affirmations can help you let go of a worry and put everyday problems into perspective.

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #6: Re-frame your thoughts. Free form anxiety often is triggered or accompanied by a litany of negative internal "chatter." The good news is, the brain is an adaptive organ, and it is possible to break out of the negative mode. However, it takes patience and persistence. The first step is to notice when the negative labels start bouncing around in your mind. Simply notice that your thinking is following a particular track, in a non-judgmental manner. Next, learn how to talk to yourself in a constructive and rational manner.What would you say to a dear and beloved friend in this instance? Try saying the same thing to yourself. This process is a hallmark of cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #7: Watch the toxins. Many people use alcohol, caffeine, or nicotine as short-term solutions for their anxiety. The difficulty is that self-medicating with these substances only creates more problems in the long run. Break the cycle. Similarly, be careful with comfort food—this is one of those times that too much of a good thing can make you miserable.

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #8: Don’t watch the news. Use discretion with television, newspapers,and other sources of news. Of course, it is important to know what’s going on in the world, but our current culture—“all news, all the time,” highlighting the latest disaster in endless replays—can easily trigger or feed anxiety.

Ø Anxiety and Depression tip #9: Don’t worry alone. In the absence of realistic feedback, we often can spin some fairly creative doomsday scenarios. If something is troubling you, get the reassurance and reality checks you need. Consult someone you trust—a friend, family member, or a religious advisor, for instance. Anxiety often diminishes when we share our worries, and practical solutions to problems may emerge in the course of the conversation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for ur reply..... Can I contact you later and continue this discussion??

Absolutely and of course.