Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Is Klonopin a strong benzo?

Customer Question

Is Klonopin a strong benzo for anxiety?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. Yes, Klonopin is in a group of drugs called benzodiazepines. It affects chemicals in the brain that may become unbalanced and cause anxiety. It is used to treat seizure disorders or panic disorder. Linda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is it strong
Expert:  Linda D. replied 3 months ago.

I guess I am not sure what you mean by strong???? It is very effective in treating anxiety and panic disorder. It is a controlled substance and can be addictive, but not sure what you mean by strong?? Help please?? The usual dosage to treat anxiety is .025 mg to introduce into your system and go up to 1 mg. You should not drink alcohol with Klonopin. I hope this is helpful to you. Linda

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess what i mean is it highly effective for anxiety
Expert:  Linda D. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** that was what you meant but wasn't sure, yes it is very effective for anxiety.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 3 months ago.

Here is a website of comments from people who take Klonopin to treat their anxiety.

I have a couple of clients that nothing else worked for their anxiety until they started taking Klonopin.

Good luck and I wish you all the best. sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My doctor prescribed.5mg 4 times a day. When should i go to 1mg?
Expert:  Linda D. replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry I am a licensed psychotherapist and not qualified to advise you on when to increase your medication. Only a medical doctor and/or psychiatrist can do that. Would you like me to put this thread back in the que and see if one of our psychiatrists answers possibly tomorrow? Linda

Expert:  Linda D. replied 3 months ago.

There will be no charge for the help I have given you, we simply want your questions answered to your satisfaction.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello. This is Dr. Love and I will be glad to address your question about adjustment of Klonopin dosing.

First, you should not increase your dose of Klonopin until your doctor advises you to do so. In fact, as a controlled substance, if you were to take the drug at a dose higher than recommended by your doctor and run out early, your doctor may not refill the medicine and may discharge you from the practice.

The dosing recommendations for Klonopin say that the typical dose adjustment should be done in increments of 0.25 - 0.5 mg per day and incremental adjustments occurring after at least three days. So, it is usually not recommended to change from 0.5 mg four times per day to 1.0 mg four times per day, which would be an increase of 2 mg total per day to 4 mg total per day.

The reason for this recommendation is that a more rapid increase in doses is associated with a much greater risk of side effects.

In someone with more severe symptoms, a doctor may decide to use a more rapid increase in dose than is stated in the dosing recommendations, but that would be a judgement of the doctor.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.