Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Can i take 3-.5mg of Klonopin during the day and 1-.5 mg of

Customer Question

can i take 3-.5mg of Klonopin during the day and 1-.5 mg of Xanax at bedtime. The Xanax really puts me to sleep.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your query.

Well, first of all klonopin is taken in twice a day dosing usually, so kindly stick to this for better results and do not go for three times a day dosing. So, i say that you can take klonopin 0.5 mg dose one in the morning and second in the evening around 4-5 pm and then you may take xanax 0.5 mg at bedtime ( at least 5-6 hours gap should be there between klonopin evening dose and xanax bedtime dose ), although personally i feel as a clinician that you need to replace xanax with a safer drug such as Ambien cr 6.25 -12.5 mg dose for sleep because xanax has high potential for dependency and for abuse, so please work on this.

I hope this answers your query.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My doctor prescribed .5 mg 4 times daily though.

Well, you see as per the half life of klonopin which is longer than that of xanax, it's use in treating Generalized anxiety or Panic attacks is recommended at twice a day dosing ( i.e is bid) for it to function and be effective optimally without making the person either too drowsy or too much dependent on the drug so as to begin abusing it more and more int he future, that is why i suggest you twice a day dosing. However, if the same drug that is klonopin is being used for seizure disorder then it shall be used in 3 divided doses ( i.e is tid ). So, what your doctor has prescribed is too frequent a dosing which you may discuss with him from my perspective and to support my answer i am mentioning below a link which you shall go through and you may learn about the correct usage pattern of this drug klonopin. You may share it with your doctor as well provided he is keen on it.

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/klonopin.html

So, i reckon that you may take 0.5 mg klonopin twice a day and xanax 0.5 mg at bedtime but after a while change it to prn use that is as and when requried use or completely replace it with ambien cr which is a relatively safer option for sleep induction.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards