LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience

I'm having real anxiety problems an can't sleep good at

Customer Question

I'm having real anxiety problems an can't sleep good at night I really could use a preciption
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: For awhile now a nothing seems to help
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: No nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear your anxiety is keeping you up at night. Unfortunately, this is only a question an answer site so experts are not able to write prescriptions. If you do need a medication to help, i would suggest you call your primary care doctor in the morning as they commonly treat anxiety rather than seeing a specialist like a psychiatrist. I might also suggest you consider talking to a counselor who can help get to the root of your anxiety and teach you some overall tips and techniques for keeping it under control so i doesn't inhibit you from good days or good nights. Just a few sessions talking to someone about things that make you anxious can really help.

A few other suggestions I have that can help with sleep are to try "progressive muscle relaxation" which is the systematic teaming of your muscle groups darting with your toes and working up ( ). It can be an excellent relaxation exercise which can result in tempering anxiety. There is also mindfulness exercises, such as focusing on your breath and doing patterned breathing. One good one is to inhale for four counts, hold for four counts, exhale for four counts, and hold for four counts. Continue to repeat for several minutes. The website has a lot of good self-help options for managing anxiety.

Another tip when sleep is elusive is to not lay in bed tossing and turning. If you have tried to sleep for 20-30 minutes without success, get up and do a different activity outside of your bedroom for another 20-30 minutes. After that, try to sleep again and if still not able, get back up and repeat. Laying in bed and fighting to try to fall asleep can send confusing messages to your mind and body which is why it often suggested to avoid tossing and tuning and instead defer sleep until you are tired enough to actually fall asleep with relative ease.

If you can't get in to see your doc quickly for a scrip you could also try melatonin or benadryl over-the-counter to help get you over this slump and into a well-established habit of going to bed and waking at the same time.

Sorry we can't prescribe here but i hope this helps!