Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC

I work in Mental Health and was wondering why all of our

Customer Question

I work in Mental Health and was wondering why all of our patients are moving to our group homes with Severly Mentally Ill. They need to be in the Psychiatric hospital and not in these homes. The Drs keep changing their meds and it is making them crazier.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 3 months ago.

Hello Mary, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for using Just Answer. Your concerns about the quality of care for chronically MI individuals is a very good one, and reflects your values and beliefs about how people should be treated. historically people who were chronically MI were put in hospitals/mental institutions and pretty much forgotten by society, the community, families, etc. The Community Mental Health Act of 1963 which started with President Kennedy was attempt to transition people from these sub standard, institutional settings to community settings that were to provide more dignity and respect toward the person. Unfortunately, the money didn't follow the closing of psychiatric hospitals and these residential options were not a whole lot better. There is a national organization called NAMI that does a great deal of advocating for the rights and needs of persons with SMI. You may want to get involved with them online, since just by asking these questions here, you are an advocate. The folks you work with are fortunate to have you. Please continue to be concerned and question the care until services and treatment get much, much better!! I wish you the very best. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I truly appreciate it. Thank you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 3 months ago.

Hello Mary, I am just checking in to see if I can help you any further. Sincerely, ***** *****