Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice

My daughter is 20 years old and I suspect that she may have

Customer Question

My daughter is 20 years old and I suspect that she may have BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder). She often becomes angered and quickly irate about small issues. And more recently has had violent and scary tantrums when her behavior is redirected. She has mentioned feeling depressed, yet she has so many great opportunities in her life. Our family has reached a point where we feel like we cannot be helpful and she is too difficult to have around. I know she needs an evaluation but it's been hard to find s provider that will see her soon. She leaves back for school in a few weeks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 3 months ago.

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

I am so sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling and my heart aches for you and your family as you must be quite overwhelmed.

I can understand how you are having difficulty finding a psychiatrist who can do an immediate evaluation. I'm unsure of where you are located but know there is a serious shortage of psychiatrists in the area I am in. Once your daughter is evaluated, a psychiatrist will need to monitor your daughter long-term, ensuring the medication and dosage prescribed is appropriate. It would be irresponsible to write her a script and send her off to school.

Sadly if indeed she does have BPD, many of her symptoms will not be stopped by medication alone. An SSRI can assist with the anxiety and depression she may be experiencing but she is in desperate need of psychotherapy. There is a specific type of psychotherapy called Dialectical Behavior Therapy that is especially helpful for those with BPD. More information about this type of therapy can be found at the following link:

I don't know what type of psychiatry and psychotherapy services are available at your daughter's school but getting her set up at her school might be an option? Or, if it makes sense having her take a semester off and attend a day treatment program? Only you and your her father can determine what makes the most sense.

My heart aches for you as this is an enormous challenge and determining next steps will be, no doubt, very difficult.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie