Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My son had severe TBI injury at 21 months old at daycare.

Customer Question

My son had severe TBI injury at 21 months old at daycare. Pushed off slide onto cement and nicked artery. 1 hr later I was notified. Internal bleeding, infarction, emergency brain surgery, stroke, paralysis, then gradual improvement other than seizures. I had breakdown from ptsd because of this and losing my business due to overwhelming situation.He lives with dad. We are pretty close even if on opposite coasts. I just went to his high school graduation and learned of his OCD. What to do? Can I discuss his childhood accident so that he understands what he is going rhrough?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Please kindly answer a few questions.

1) Do you believe his present condition of OCD is related or associated with this TBI of childhood ? If yes what makes you feel that they are inter-related ?

2) How do you think the revelation about his past history of TBI in childhood will improve his understanding of his current OCD and how will it help him to cope with it better ?

I shall get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wrote reply but internet went off. Ok I will try again. I know it is part of his TBI status. He has always had some difficulties but they went from severe to increasinly improved. He had ADHD like behavior after initial recovery such as disruption and disobedience, angry outbursts. But he became a mild mannered kid and he went from repeating kindergarten to winning art awards when is natural brilliance came through. Has always had friends but only a couple at a time. Introverted and somewhat socially immature. Miraculously he has graduated high school at 19. I live in CA and he is in FL. I went to see him at his graduation and saw that he is now a complex young man not a child anymore. I learned from a family friend with whom he confides that he has really disturbing obsessive thoughts and is on prozac and respiridol. Then he told me too but we really did not get deep into his thoughts. His dad has raised him but is emotionally distant. My son and I have had a bond in spite of distance (call and text "I love and miss you,etc.) but this new discovery and desire to help is important to me. Thanks!

Thanks for the inputs and insight.

Well, i feel history of TBI should not be told to him at this point of time when he is already struggling with OCD since this revelation of his past medical history may act on him as a stressor which may further flare up his OCD symptoms as it is a well known fact about OCD that the obsessions and compulsive rituals that define OCD become more complex and severe in the wake of a stressful situation or stress. By revealing to him that he has TBI in childhood you may actually bring more stress to his mind with which he shall not be able to understand your genuine motive behind this revelation and eventually he may react badly to this piece of information and may try to distance from you since you have brought him news which has complicated his life even more.

So while i value your conscience behind this approach but i do not feel that the time is ideal for this revelation as contrary to what you believe that this revelation about TBI history may help him to cope better with his present issues but i feel otherwise about the same since this may add unnecessary pressure on him which may further worsen his OCD symptoms and eventually he may start blaming you for his problems.

I hope this makes sense and gives you a different perspective on this whole issue.

Just be there for him and talk to him what he is going through, do not mention TBI at all, just offer moral and emotional support that he needs, this shall be enough from your part.

Wish you and your son all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards