DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor
Experience:  MD, BA psychology, Emphasis on addictions, depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc.
24257177

My husband did well on paxil 30 mg. but he put on 30 pounds

Customer Question

my husband did well on paxil 30 mg. but he put on 30 pounds and was miserable...could not take it off.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: he switched to Lexapro and there was no change then recently switched to wellbutrin. he is not doing well on wellbutrin 150xl...he tempermant is awful and has a short trigger. we need to switch to something else, maybe go back to Lexapro instead of paxil....
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: so the question is what is the equivalent of paxil 30 to Lexapro?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 7 months ago.

HI

I am not sure what you are asking.

Can he go back on lexapro, yes

He should also have therapy, not simply medication.

He should have his thyroid function checked and make sure his TSH is between .3 and 3, and that he is not hypothyroid.

There are many other medications as well.

A psychiatrist works with these daily and can tailor the right one to him.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/