Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I've been on Celexa, low dose 10mg. Mainly with very mild

Customer Question

I've been on Celexa for years, low dose 10mg. Mainly for ADD with very mild anxiety. 45 yr Male. Just think it's time to come off but looking for answers to why? Better concentration with normal negative side effects. Good vs. bad. I think I want to come off just to be off, but if they're working, is that a good enough answer? Doc says they're ok long term. No real depression at all.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Yes, my Doc. She put me on them to increase focus. She says to stay. Divorced father with two kids. No real stress there. Girlfriend is supportive and into natural therapy. She's leaning to me coming off.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: Nothing really. Just the divorce, but the kids are doing great. I have them 50% and live very close.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Do you want to come off celexa, or do you want to stay?

Overall you have been feeling better now agree? Do you feel you still need to stay on this med, or do you feel you will be okay if you come off it?

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Hi, I have asked few question above, in the meantime I thought I will provide you with this additional information.

If you have been feeling fine then there is no real need to stay on this med. You can try to come off it and see how things go. If needed you can always go back on celexa again. If you decide to come off then please try to do it gradually. Initially try to take it on alternate days (once in two days) x about 10 days, later try to take it once in every 3 days for another 10 days or so - then you can stop it. This gradual tapering off will reduce the possibility of any withdrawal taking place.

On the otherhand if you wish to stay on this med it is fine too, there are many patients who take this med indefinitely or for very long, even take this med for decades too without any major problems with this med. The low dose of 10 mg is really not expected to cause any major side effect or problem, even in the long run.

While celexa is reasonably safe, however natural therapy is the safest, so if you wish you can try natural therapy and see how things go. If natural therapy works well then there is no need to go back on celexa again. I see that you have a supportive girlfriend too and this also can immensely help you to stay off the med.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any further clarifications, and if you need to discuss this further.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor