TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

My 30 year old daughter is married with one child.both she

Customer Question

My 30 year old daughter is married with one child.both she and her husband of 4 years have had addiction problems in the past. She is currently seeing a psychiatrist and is prescribed a benzodiazepine and Vyvanse. However she has wide mood swings and consequently has allienated most of her friends. Her mother and I have been divorced for more than 20 years but have a very cordial relationship. She hasnt yet graduated from college but her brother is a Cornel law graduate. She seems to think everyone is against her, resents her brother's success and feels entitled. I think she may be BPD and/or bi- polar. Can you give me some insight?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry she has had such a difficult time in her life. you are a thoughtful and loving parent and want the best for her. She seems to struggle with a lot, but I believe you can feel comforted knowing she is under the care of a Psychiatrist to manage her medication and if they believe more is needed will or have made the recommendations for additional therapies. As an adult, she makes the choices to seek further treatment for what ails her. She hasn't responded well to your perceptions so the best thing you can do is to let her know you love and care for her and want the best for her and will be there is she needs you for further support. Since she is with a psychiatrist then a thorough evaluation has been done and if other things have presented themselves the psychiatrist would be aware and suggest what is necessary. Not easy for you as a parent to sit back and see how her life is, but try and find some comfort to know she is being seen...I know not as often or for talk therapy but she is under the care of the doctor.

I would agree that therapy could be beneficial for her based on what you say she struggles with, but unless she is willing to go, there isn't much to be done other than be supportive when she needs you and try to encourage rather than diagnose.

Let me know how I can support you further.

Jen

If all good for now, please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support so that I may be credited for my time. If you need me again, I am here. Thanks so much for taking care of that.

Jen