Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm just a little curious about my own mental state, and

Customer Question

i'm just a little curious about my own mental state, and wonder if there is anything to know about it. So, i've always been a fairly deep thinker, developing my view on the world over years through logical thinking, and i've now reached a point at which my view of the world is that everything is worthless, and morality is merely a social construct, one that I follow for my own sake, but don't particularly care about. I'm not incapable of feeling empathy or sympathy, but I would also say these emotions are far duller to me than with other people. I don't often have regrets, and when I do, it's either in the context of a very close friend, or something that ultimately backlashed, hurting me as a result. I enjoy manipulating people, as well as making people feel uncomfortable, at least to a degree. The closest thing I can think of is sociopathy, but from what i've read about it, i'm not quite beyond that line. I'm unsure if this is a factor, but i've gone through a relationship that lasted for half a year and was ultimately a fairly painful experience, though i'm still on good terms with the person in question. Again, this is a way of thought that i've developed over a long period of time, based on sheer logic, and my ability to bring those conclusive thoughts into practice. I'd also like to point out that none of this is tied to depression, and i'd say i'm doing fairly well at this point, neither do I see the worthlessness of myself or humanit as a whole as a negative thing.
So, is there anything to be said about this? Am I some sort of borderline sociopath, something else? Something that hasn't really been encountered before? I'm curious!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

You are correct that the primary diagnosis that would be considered in this situation would be sociopathy, which is more properly called an antisocial personality disorder or dissocial personality disorder. However, the diagnosis of an antisocial personality disorder can only be done after a thorough assessment and cannot be done over the internet.

At this point, it would be appropriate for you to seek a more complete evaluation.