Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

If I have a Deep Brain Stimulator can I have a vagus nerve

Customer Question

If I have a Deep Brain Stimulator can I have a vagus nerve stimulator for depression implanted?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 3 months ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for the question ...

Vagus nerve stimulation is not indicated for such purpose as Vagus nerve stimulation results in to Neurocardiogenic syncope.

slow heart and often severe fall in blood pressure so avoid it .

Good luck .

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with experience in treating all neurological and other medical conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Yes, it is possible to have both DBS (Deep brain Stimulator) as well as VNS (Vagus Nerve Stimulator) implanted in the same patient. These 2 devices do not appear to interfere with each other when present in the same patient, so the functioning of these devices is not affected due to the presence of the other device in the body.

You may please refer the following articles of a patient who had both DBS & VNS implanted;

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,