Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC

I've been through a lot of big changes recently and I'm

Customer Question

I've been through a lot of big changes recently and I'm starting to question my actions - I'm feeling a lot of anxiety, guilt and uncertainty for the future. I'm struggling with work and keeping a positive attitude. I'm going through a messy divorce and despite that, things were on the upswing mood-wise. But over the past few weeks things have taken a down turn, and i'm questioning if these are normal mood swings or if there's something bigger going on
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: past 2-3 weeks or so
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I have a history of eating disorder/impulsive behavior and depression
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for using Just Answer. I will be with you in one moment after I help a few other people ahead of you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, thank you for waiting, I appreciate your patience. Absolutely, going through a "messy" divorce can cause all types of feelings, conscious and unconscious to surface. Divorce is a loss regardless of how difficult the marriage was, it is an ending, a disappointment an event that comes with a grieving process. Your identity will be changing, your financial situation will be changing, your social circles, marital status, etc. There are going to be good days when you may feel relief, freedom, even optimistic but then there will be days and moments filled with sadness, anger, emptiness, fear, etc. I always tell my clients that when they are going through a significant life change such as a death or divorce, that all the usual day to day rules are off and they get to not be okay. You get to not have a positive attitude on the days you don't have one, as a matter of fact eating disorders and impulsive behaviors are a lot about avoiding negative feelings and thoughts. Does this make sense? I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC