Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I'm taking medications mental condition and the medications

Customer Question

I'm taking medications for my mental condition and the medications are Zyprexa and Cymbalta. I'm going to ask you a few questions and I'm interested in the answers of these questions.
1. Is urine test the same test as blood test for the lab to find out if I'm taking my 2 medicines? If not, what are the differences?
2. If I took only one small-dosage tablet of any medicine either over-the-counter or psychotropic medicine, will it still show my in my blood test?
3. Will blood or urine test show how long I've been taking any psychotropic or over-the-counter medicines?
4. Do they (or any organization) have a right to ask me for my urine sample or blood sample without giving me the reason as to why and what they want to do it?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am mentioning below answers to your questions one by one.

1) Yes both urine test and blood test are used for detecting presence of psychotropic medications, so they are similar and any one of them can used as a diagnostic tool to detect presence of the two drugs that you have been taking.

2) If you took only one dose of an over the counter medicine or any other medication

and if ere has been 5 or more days since you took the medication then it is unlikely to show up in the urine test.

3) No, the test will not be able to elicit the duration for which the drugs have been there in your system.

I hope this answers your questions satisfactorily and helps you to prepare yourself for the test and it's result.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards