JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...

My son is 21 years old and was diagnosed with OCD when he

Customer Question

My son is 21 years old and was diagnosed with OCD when he was 13. He is now in university and seemed to have a spike in his ocd. He went and saw a psychiatrist referred by his school. There was 30 minutes of interaction. He diagnose my son with schizophrenia. Gave him a prescription for anti psychotics and my son had just started to take luvax for his ocd spike. From what i have read a diagnosis of schizophrenia usually takes some time ? He basically saw my son for 30 minutes told him he was schizophrenic gave him medicine and said come back in 6 months? Is this normal ?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JohnMichaels,MS,LPC replied 4 months ago.

I am so glad you are reaching out for help. I am not a psychiatrist, and do not wish to question one. The information I give is of a general nature and is in no way to be construed as a diagnosis.

OCD is in reality a symptom or form of anxiety. Based on the information I see here, I would assume your son is suffering from anxiety due to the life change. I would think you need to consider a change in medication, either dosage or prescription in general. I believe you need to schedule another assessment and get a second opinion.

Does that make sense toy you? Let me know if you have questions or concerns.