JohnMichaels,MS,LPC, Counselor (LPC)
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...

My daughter won't stop shaving all over her body. She is

Customer Question

My daughter won't stop shaving all over her body. She is only 12 and shaves her back and places that have no hair. The razor is cutting her skin and she has several cuts now on her back and upper arm. She gave me the razor today to take because she said she can't stop. Please help with any suggestions. Thank you.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  JohnMichaels,MS,LPC replied 4 months ago.

I am glad you reached out for guidance and information. This sounds very much like an obsessive compulsive issue and could very well meet the criteria of OCD,

I borrowed the definition: A psychiatric disorder characterized by obsessive thoughts and compulsive actions, such as cleaning, checking, counting, or hoarding. Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), one of the anxiety disorders, is a potentially disabling condition that can persist throughout a person's life. The individual who suffers from OCD becomes trapped in a pattern of repetitive thoughts and behaviors that are senseless and distressing but extremely difficult to overcome. OCD occurs in a spectrum from mild to severe, but if severe and left untreated, can destroy a person's capacity to function at work, at school, or even in the home.

There are other disorders besides OCD that are symptomized by OCD. I do have a couple questions that help me be more clear. What other symptoms does she exhibit? How has she done developmentally over the years? Has she met her developmental milestones on time? how are her motor and dexterity skills? How well does she interact with her peers of the same age?