Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

My daughter is 20 and was diagnosed with a virus in her

Customer Question

My daughter is 20 and was diagnosed with a virus in her small intestine. Her GI suggest she should take lenses in the morning also take miralax. She won't do it. She also suffers from anxiety. Her general suggest she take 25mg of zoloft. She won't take it because she doesn't want to get hooked on hit .
what do I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. Please reassure your daughter that Zoloft is not addictive. It is an SSRI and will help her brain to work more efficiently, which will help her to take better care of herself. As her mother do you think you could motivate her to take the Zoloft for just 30 days to see if it helps her to feel better?? Usually when I ask clients to try and SSRI like this one for 30 days they are more than willing to continue the medication when they see how much better they feel. Trying yoga together is excellent and possible meditation to help her find a calm place within her. She is very lucky to have you in her life to partner with on behalf of her wellness, but try to be supportive of her choices while offering her options to try. Pushing too hard may make her feel like she is losing control which is often what people with anxiety feel. (and that might cause her to push back to feel more in control). There is a rally good workbook you can order for her online called the Anxiety/Phobia workbook that will help her to understand anxiety better and to learn how to manage the symptoms. If she continues to feel strongly about not taking medication for her anxiety you can encourage her to try some of these natural supplements like Picamilon, Valerian Root, KAVA, or Passion Flower that all have some anti-anxiety properties. I hope this information is helpful to you. I wish you and your daughter well and would appreciate you taking a moment to rate my service to you as this is the only way we are compensated for our time. I truly appreciate it and am here for you if you have any other questions. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC