Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC

My daughter has frontal lobe injury from mva 20 yrs and been

Customer Question

My daughter has frontal lobe injury from mva 20 yrs and been give dx of schizoaffective disorder. How common is this and why are brain injured pts grroup3d with mentally ill pts.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. I can hear your frustration at the limitations in our service system to not be able to treat each person as an individual and just put people in groups even if they don't fit with each other. As a therapist I share your frustration. I think sometimes people avoid getting the help they need for this reason. One of the reasons I think the funding systems feel they can group individuals with TBI with individuals who suffer from MH issues is because in my experience many who suffer from TBI have similar symptoms of mood dis regulation and behaviors they can't mange and/or that interfere with the quality of their lives. That doesn't make it necessarily right, but I think that is how it is justified. here in NYS we are fortunate to have a significant amount of funding that goes toward treatment and services for persons with TBI so that doesn't tend to happen. As far as your second question, about your daughters diagnosis of schizoaffective d/o, it is possible that she suffers from both. Are you familiar with the criteria for schizoaffective d/o? would you like me to discuss what this d/o looks like and we can discuss this further and see if your daughter meets the criteria? I look forward to hearing back from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC