TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Certified Life Coach

My son is 28. He was a very academic in school and a

Customer Question

My son is 28. He was a very academic in school and a straight A student. In University all seemed to go well in the first few years but in his last year he missed classes and did not take a final exam. He had the chance to go back several times to retake the course. At first he pretended he was going to class but was not and this went on for a few years and now he refuses to go back to university and so he will not graduate at all. He has not yet had a job and lives at home although he has done a few projects for his father's business. He used to have many friends who used to be regular visitors to our house but now nobody visits and he does not go out very often. Lately, he has started shaving his head and now seems to be doing this on a daily basis. He shows a little interest in watching football though not ad much as he used to. I and his father gave tried to encore him to join a gym or other clubs/interest groups and he says he will biu never does. All this has gone on for five years now and I am at my wits end as neither , nor his father, brother or sister know how to help him. For the last year he gas said he okans to go and learn Photography but gas done nothing about it. When I try to talk to him about his behaviour he says nothing is wrong and that he just needs time to sort himself out. I occasionally have lost my temper with him and ended up screaming or sometimes not talk to him to try and make him realise how worried we are about him but it has no effect. I cannot take much more if this as I worry constantly abou how he is wasting his life. My husband took him to a psychiatrist about a year ago but he barely spoke to him and gas refused to go back.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of this change for your son and the rest of the family. It sounds like he may be dealing with some depression but if he won't go back to any kind of treatment then you are at a loss. I understand you losing your temper and I know you know that won't help....he is going through something and may need the time he is asking to have. does that mean you need to give it? That is a personal choice. I have worked with many parents that have decided not to enable the behavior and have asked that they live on their own and find their own way? does that work? sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Do you have the stomach for that extreme position? Only you can answer that. Of course I believe he would be helped by therapy but if he refuses then you are at a loss. So it is up to you and your family about how you want to proceed and to continue to help him or not.

Let me know your thoughts.

If I can help you further please let me know. If all good for now, please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support so that I may be credited for my time. Thanks so much in advance. I am here if you need.