Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice

What is going on???????

Customer Question

What is going on???????
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 4 months ago.

Good evening,

This is Therapist Leslie. Just wanted to give you some direction on managing your panic attack...

Luckily most panic attacks only last for a few minutes. Some people do experience them for a longer period of time unfortunately.

There are several ways to “ride out” a panic attack. Starting with reminding yourself that it’s only a panic attack and it will pass in a few minutes. That is the single most important thing you can do.

The second most important thing you can do is ask yourself what triggered the panic attack? This one question will help you answer the question how do I control a panic attack?

Knowing what the trigger(s) are that cause your panic attacks is valuable knowledge you can use to avoid another panic attack. A trigger can be anything from seeing a horrible car accident while watching the news to hearing a statement that reminds either your subconscious or conscious mind of an unpleasant event that happened in your life.

Seeing how it would not be realistic to toss the TV and computer in the garbage and lock yourself in a room with no communication to the outside world. Until you are able to discover the triggers and recall the memories that cause them. There are a few things you can do to get through a panic attack.

Deep Breathing - Learn and practice how to deep breathe. Take a deep breath in and holding it for a count of 3 then slowly releasing it while counting to 5. This helps your body and mind to relax refocuses your thoughts from the panic attack to your breathing.

Talk Yourself Through It - Tell yourself it is only a panic attack and it will be over soon. Repeat “I’m Okay it’s just a panic attack.”

It is important not to give the panic attack any more power over you than it already has by saying “It’s is ONLY a panic attack” takes some of the power it has over you away!

Knowledge, deep breathing and talking yourself through it are three of the best ways to answer the question how do I control a panic attack. Make up your mind once and for all that you will not allow the panic attack to control you, you are in control of the panic attack!

Does this help by chance? Is there anything else I can assist you with? I gently request you reach out if you are in need of anything else and you provide a star rating so I may be rated.

Thank you so much and I am sorry you struggle.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie