Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC

What helps with urges to cut yourself and what helps with

Customer Question

What helps with urges to cut yourself and what helps with depression and anxiety
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice In New York State. Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer with your concerns. I am helpin another client and will be right with you in a moment with my suggestions. Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are natural supplements good to take if I am going through urges to cut I don't want to take medication cause of side effects
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

I understand your hesitation to take medications due tot heir possible side effects and you certainly have tried most of the popular ones. have you also tried partnering with a therapist to help you reduce your symptoms and develop other ways to externalize your emotional distress and pain?? Psychotherapy, primarily Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), could be very effective for you, but it will take months for this type of therapy to work as therapy is gradual and slow. If you prefer not to use medications than the use of natural supplements like Picamilon, Valerian Root, KAVA, or Passion Flower have some anti-anxiety properties and soothing properties that may help too. Marina, it is so important that you commit to taking good care of yourself in as many asset areas as possible which will make you as resilient as possible to offset your symptoms. I have attached a chart for the significant areas that you should focus on and try to put into your life as much as you can. Cutting behaviors are a way to externalize pain, a way to validate how badly you feel. You are not alone, there are many people including myself who could be there for you to help you express yourself in healthier ways. Please let me know if you have any other questions for me and I would appreciate you taking a moment to rate my service to you as this is the only way we are compensated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for the advice how do the urges go away I feel like I am bipolar I don't I am scared
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

I can tell this is very difficult for you, first, may I ask have you actually seen a therapist that you were able to trust and depend on to help you??

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see one and I see a psychiatrist which h prescription me with pristq
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Okay, that is important to have a support system to help you. In addition, reducing the urge for cutting behavior is somewhat the same as treating an addiction. The less you give in, the more you distract yourself from the thoughts and urges, the more they will lose power over you. In the next thread I will give you some ideas on how to distract yourself with activities.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I haven't cut and I don't know where it came from is pristq a good medication to take
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Distract yourself from the desire to cut

One of the best ways to let the urge to cut pass is by distracting yourself with someone or something else. This will allow the moment to pass when you’re feeling the deep cravings to cut, and get your mind off of it. It’s impossible for your mind to think about two things at the exact same time. Here are some ideas on how to do this..

1. Call a friend or meet them in person. Talk about what’s comfortable for you. The key is to keep talking.Externalize your thoughts and feelings!!
  2. Take a shower. This will help invigorate your body, so physically it too, is distracted. (Make sure there are no razors in the shower).
  3. Exercise “ Walk, run, ride your bike, climb, swim, do yoga, etc. While you are exercising, your mind is more likely to think about something other than cutting.
  4. Play with a pet. Take your dog for a walk.
  5. Watch television or a non-violent, healthy movie.
  6. Make yourself a sandwich, drink a glass of water or a cup of hot chocolate.
  7. Listen to positive your own music therapist, it will definitely help to change your mood.
  8. Write in your journal “ learn to express your feelings through writing.
  9. Create art, or some kind of creative hobby.
  10. Volunteer somewhere like a nursing home, or a hospital. In fact, getting a job you love will help as well. Someone people cut out of sheer boredom.

I hope these are helpful suggestions. I am interested in your thoughts. Linda D.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well I work full time as a nurse assistant is pristq a good medication to take. And I go out with my frjebds
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Yes, Pristiq is a very good medication and is excellent if you are tolerating it. It may improve your mood, feelings of well-being, and energy it is known as a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). It works by helping to restore the balance of certain natural substances (serotonin and norepinephrine) in the brain.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Try the best you can to distract yourself from the thoughts for cutting. Put up a big, red STOP sign in your mind when the thought starts to come. And do something, anything that will distract you. I hope the information I have given you has been helpful. Let me know if there is anything else you need. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay th k you I got sample packs from my doctor for the medication he said to cut it in half for first five days should I do that. Also my other doctor gave me depokote which I do t want to take cause I could get hair loss
Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

My advice would be to start with the Pristiq and stabilize on this first before adding anything else.And yes, it is a good idea to introduce the medication at half dose, you can even stretch that out longer to 7-10 days if that makes you more comfortable. Do the two doctors communicate with each other, so that they each know what the other one is prescribing??

Expert:  Linda D. replied 4 months ago.

Marina, thank you for letting me help you. I need to finish now to be able to help some others. I wish you all the best. Please don't forget to rate my service to you tonight. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC