Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I am looking antidepressant to take while pregnant that does

Customer Question

Hi i am looking for an antidepressant to take while pregnant that does not cause nausea. I am already nauseous and i have a fear of vomiting. Please help! I need something to help my depression and anxiety that won't make me feel more sick. Thanks
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to the site.

Kindly please mention how many months pregnant are you ?

Are you aware that taking anti depressant medication during pregnancy can cause harm to the fetus as they are teratogenic ?

I shall get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
25 weeks pregnant

Thanks for the inputs.

I want to lay stress on the fact that you need to be fully aware and knowledgeable about the health risks that use of anti depressants may pose for the baby in womb if they are used during pregnancy, some side effects can be birth defects/malformations, so the use of anti depressant during pregnancy needs to be decided in cahoot with the doctor based on the premise of risk:benefit ratio from the use of anti depressant.

If the benefits from the use of anti depressant seems to be outweighing it's disbenefits then the use of anti depressant shall be encouraged and if it is not the case then the use has to be discouraged..

So, if you and your doctor are clear on that front of its use then i am mentioning below some options for anti depressants which are relatively safer for use in pregnancy and they are less likely to cause nausea as well.

1) SAM-e ( S Adenosyl Methionine ) is a natural anti depressant supplement,tit will be safe for use.

2) Tryptophan, again this is a natural anti depressant supplement , it can be used in combination with the SAM-e.

3) Effexor xr( venlafaxine ) at low dose , it is an snri anti depressant.

4) Cymbalta ( duloxetine) at low dose, it is also an snri class anti depressant.

Kindly discuss these options with your doctor and choose any one of them.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.