DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor
Experience:  MD, BA psychology, Emphasis on addictions, depression, anxiety, ADHD, etc.
24257177

I think my daughter is a pathological liar or sociopath and

Customer Question

I think my daughter is a pathological liar or sociopath and I need help in trying to not only cope with this but trying to get her the help she needs. She's now 21 and I have caught her in many lies or lying by omission. I noticed a change in her personality in middle school and got her into therapy but after a couple of visits she refused to go back. Her not going back is my fault because I should have insisted. I was dealing with my own MDD and medical problems and her dad got ill enough to have to go on ss disability. Our separation and divorce 5 years ago seems to have been the trigger for the increase in her mental illnesses. She has gone through outpatient treatment and they have had a hard time finding the medicine that will help her. She has told me they have diagnosed her bipolar, OCD, anorexic, and psychotc issues hearing people screaming in her backyard and seeing people with no faces (when awake!). She has lied about all kinds of small things and big ones too. She is also. Very irresponsible. She lied about going to classes at college and ended up with a 1.85 gpa. The most recent things is that she took a trip with a friend but later found out by looking at her boyfriends Facebook page that she was traveling with him when I finally got her to tell me his last name. She got engaged to this guy in March and just found out this 2 weeks ago. I've not met him. She was an excellent elementary student but something changed in her but I have no idea why. She was in advanced classes since 3rd grade.
I don't know how to help her and it is mentally and physically affecting me very bad (I'm recovering from surgery for removal of a brain tumor. I went last week to a therapist to help me deal with what is happening. I love my daughter with all my heart but I don't know how much longer I can stand all the lying and deception. I know this is very long but would like to know if she can be helped. I've been trying to find a support group but haven't been able to find one in my area. Thanks in advance for your help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Your daughter is 21.

She is an adult.

You can not force her to do a thing, or get help for her.

She is on medication.

This is actually between her and her doctor.

So the real question is what can you do for you. Right?

Because if you don't cope, you won't respond correct to her.

This is a difficult transition, and the best professional for you to see would

be a PhD clinical psychologist trained in family therapy.

Not that your daughter would go with you, but that this will help you, and your daughter could be invited into sessions when you are ready. This in fact might help both of you at that point.

Her condition sounds bi polar to me, which can have hallucinations.

That is the best educated guess.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/