Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I had my effexor xr 75mg increased to 150 mg 6 months ago

Customer Question

I had my effexor xr 75mg increased to 150 mg 6 months ago due to an increase in my anxiety after
a difficult time in my life. I had 6 weeks of side effects before the 150mg started to work, but it has left me with a constant headache, dry mouth which i already had due to RAI treatment 5 yrs ago for Thyroid cancer. My life is now in a better place and due to the side effects i still have on this dose increase, my GP suggested that i could try and go down to my original dose of 75mg and see how i managed. He said that i could cut back to 75mg and i shouldn't have too many withdrawal symptoms. Today is day 2 of taper and i am getting dizziness on and off, some nausea and haven't slept well. My GP is on holidays and my question is, how long should these symptoms last and is tapering back to 75mg too fast? Thank you, Lyn
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 months ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, you see the way you were directly raised from 75 mg to 150 mg was not the right way to go about titrating up the dose of effexor xr and now also when you are being withdrawn from a higher dose of 150 mg to 75 mg , it is still not right as a it is a faster process and that is why you are developing or already have developed withdrawal symptoms.

So I suggest that you add 37.5 mg dose to the already in use 75 mg and divide these doses into 2 as morning take 75 mg and in the night take 37.5 mg. Stay on this for 2 weeks and see the benefits. I will also support the idea of introducing buspirone (buspar) at dose of 5 mg three times a day. This is an anxiolytic as well as anti depressant medication which works well with the likes of effexor xx and augments it's action .

So kindly discuss this with your doctor when he returns and as of now you just need to add 37.5 mg dose to the already in use 75 mg dose of effexor but at a different time. This shall subside your widrawal symptoms and also bring in some relief in underlying symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards