Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice

I feel like everywhere I go, people pick on me more and

Customer Question

I feel like everywhere I go, people pick on me more and there is a bias against me. Like they will say it's okay for other people to do things like gossip, lie, say good things about themselves, call me names, but not okay for me to. I've just had a life experience of people rejecting me and picking on me. I just feel like people in general are nicer to other people than they are to me. Please tell me why people may do this to me.
Another question I had is that I feel like everything is a competition over intelligence and I feel like I am losing. Like if I go to a new location with someone, they are able to find which side the door is on before I do. Or if I am watching Family Feud or something, the person I'm watching it with comes up with the answer before I do. I was always the math and science genius when I was in school, so I wonder why now at an older age, I can't seem to win a competition over intelligence. I feel like I lose a competition over everything-looks, popularity, athletics, etc., but being smart was always important to me, and I feel like I can't win that competition. I always walk away feeling like I am stupider than the other person. I got on the waiting list to Harvard my senior in high school, so I just wonder why I would lose a competition over intelligence these days. Please tell me why you think this may happen to me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling in your relationships...feeling like others are harsh with you in their criticism and judgement. I'm curious if you are simply questioning the company you keep or if you find this across the board? Also, I do believe we dictate how people treat us and I'm wondering what you do/say when others judge you or put you down in some way? Do you stand up for yourself? Ignore the comment? How do you react overall?

I am so sad to hear you are feeling a bit "less than" in many areas of your life. I imagine you are a harsh critic of yourself as well and perhaps are more generous with your opinion of others than yourself? I have no doubt you are intelligent, kind, beautiful and all the same things you use to describe others. It does sound like you are struggling with your own imagine of yourself and overall self-esteem issues.

Please forgive all of the questions. I want to make sure I truly understand how you feel before providing more direction. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Good afternoon,

Just wanted to check back and see how you are doing? Please feel free to reach out with your questions.

Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie