Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I have helped raise a little girl since she was born, she is

Customer Question

Hello, I have helped raise a little girl since she was born, she is almost 4. I am not bio dad, her mom told me I would always be her "dad" and I had plans to adopt her. Well that changed, mom does not want me to be "dad" but occasionally let's me see little girl . (Few hours every 2-3 weeks) I used to have her 4-5 nights a week. I am the only "dad" she knows. My question is, do I continue seeing little girl when mom allows and continue the confusion of why she doesn't get to see me very much along with the sadness when I have to take her back to mom so soon, or do I cut the ties clean? I would adopt her in a heartbeat and want to very best for her. If the best for her is to walk away I'm willing but it's the last thing I want to do. Please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to the site.

I am sorry to learn about your emotional predicament involving an innocent child who like you is suffering because of her mother's narrow perspective about looking at things. I am sure the girl's mother can be more magnanimous and let the child forge a beautiful and long lasting relationship with you as this will complete yours and the girl's lives and fill her life with a father figure's love and affection which is grossly lacking from her life.

I will like to persuade and motivate you to keep meeting the child and try to usher on her as much love and affection as much you can in those few hours. I know this is hard for you and the child to meet like this but i feel something is better than nothing and who knows seeing your bond with the child and the child's affection towards you, her mother's hearts melts in the coming future and she allows her to meet you liberally.

So, as things stand now, i believe you should continue meeting her, you are a positive influence on her and the child needs love from a father figure so please do not deny her that. Lastly hope for the best, ***** ***** full of surprises so do not loose hope and continue doing your good work.

I hope this makes sense and gives you enough to introspect and assess.

Wish you all the best. May God bless you and the child and gives her mother understanding to appreciate your bond with the girl.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.