Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I am trying to get a second opinion on a matter (Dr. Z was

Customer Question

Hello,I am trying to get a second opinion on a matter (Dr. Z was first. I am just adding more detail and trying to be comprehensive with the Q. His response was very helpful. Just doing my HW) involving a sex addict and volunteer work they are doing:A sex addict who has recently sought out help (is less than a week into the process of finding sex therapist and initiating a recovery plan) has been working at a women's homeless shelter doing volunteer work for the past 4 months. It has come to light that they have previously "checked out" a couple women here and have had sexualized thoughts (that they say they try to "push out") about several of the homeless women. The addict has a history of committing several crimes (with no convictions) such as, a rape (2 years prior), Has sexually harassed a woman on the subway, an addiction to extreme and violent porn (real rape), compulsive voyeurism, solicitation of prostitution, etc. I am wondering if it is wise for this person to continue volunteering at the womens shelter.Thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and j will like to offer my opinion on your query.

Well, unless this man is not completely free of sex addiction and is totally reformed and is leading a normal life for several months to years, until that time it is advisable for him to stay away from such a homeless shelter where women who are in the fragile state of mind and easily susceptible to exploitation and manipulation are found a plenty as with this person's background and past where in he has engaged in some brutally immoral, dishonorable and pervert demanor , so keeping him in such type of surrounding where he can have easy access to innocent and susceptible women, he may again repeat his past offenses plus this man unless totally reformed poses threat to women around him.

I hope this is clear to you what I intend to imply here.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.