LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I am an engineer and worked in project management. While at

Customer Question

Hello
I am an engineer and worked in project management. While at work I may have been suffering from depression although I cannot be sure about this as I did not feel depressed for the majority of time that I was at work.
I have experienced sudden and brief anger at work on three occasions and believe that this was because of work stress, wanting to leave the company and not having a stable home to live.
On about 8 occasions throughout my life I have felt empowered for a moment which I would describe as being motivated or taking charge of a situation.
Could you please tell me if any of the above mean't that I was suffering from Bipolar disorder while I was at work.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 6 months ago.
Hi Roland, thank you for writing to us. My name is ***** ***** i would like to help. Based on your brief description, you do not sound like you are suffering from bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is characterized by large and typically dramatic changes in mood that range from manic/hypomanic states where people feel extremely "wired", energetic, impulsive, creative, motivate, etc then morph into a stage of depressive moods where they feel very low, sad, down, irritable, etc. Bipolar swings can range in terms of frequency but simply having periods of agitation at work would not be indicative of bipolar without the other symptoms, especially the marked fluctuations from escalated mood to low mood. This is especially true if you can pinpoint that you were under direct stress at the time of these episodes which likely indicates that your anger was more indicative of the direct stress you were under and inability to easily cope. Anger can be a common reaction to stress in our lives. Also, if you really were bipolar, you would not experience the mood fluctuations in single domains such as work only - you mood whether it be manic, stable or depressed would impact other areas of your life as well. I hope this helps! -Leah